Thursday, July 23, 2009

Graduate. Roll dice.

A number of people, including articles in Landscape Architecture Magazine written by well known and successful landscape architects suggested that one way to weather the economic belly flop is to start a blog. I am not sure that a blog will stick my name and portfolio under the right noses (not likely) but it hopefully will make other newly graduated, unemployed, jobless but not aimless or goal-less people like me chuckle. As we slowly graduate into this economy and our student loans become active and hungry, we have either chosen to hunker down in our own proverbial tornado shelters OR hit the road with Kerouac's books on tape and a trail of family and friends who can both offer a couch, good company and an internet connection. Both strategies involve a constant fishing for opportunities (the "I'd do that" list gets longer every day. When my mom's neighbor asks me advice about rose pruning and proper grass care, I used to politely remind her that I didn't get a Masters in Garden Care. Now I'm considering feigning rose and grass expertise, maybe even printing a business card and starting a business to compete with the 14 year old boys down the street who mow lawns for 30 bucks a pop).

But really, here's the deal. I just graduated. I am talented. It doesn't seem to matter. In many ways I am happy that there are not five fantastic firms throwing big salaries my way. I have no strings, no obligations and lots of people and places I've been wanting to see but have not because my head has been buried in Photoshop, AutoCAD and InDesign for the past three years.

I like to travel. The last ten years of my life has been a hop-scotch game between countries around the world and experiences. I like to write. Thus so far the doom and gloom of the recession hasn't given me too much anxiety.

I will use this blog to reflect on my own path and experiences. I hope that people who read it will feel lightened that we are all in a similar boat. Our training made us "Jacks and Jills" of many trades (and, as the saying goes, "Masters of none"... but we don't need to dwell on that) and that variety, open-mindedness and broad skill base will serve us well. We need to share experiences, learn collectively from this new employment climate and keep in mind that people will always need creative, beautiful, natural spaces and the environment will always need our attention, protection and respect. We'll all be fine.

So here goes (please excuse the blog-beginner... I'll figure it out)!

Start: Tucson, Arizona

1 comment:

  1. I like this post. It reminded me of all of the reasons I went into Landscape Architecture and left me feeling a bit more optimistic. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete